The first thing you should consider when buying a GPS Tracking Solution for your company vehicles is the reputation of the company.
With so many companies out there supplying similar solutions, it is very confusing to know which ones are reputable and have a proven track record.
Many GPS Companies do not make it passed 5 years as the business is similar to a Telco and requires significant investment in back end support services such as help desk, field support and sophisticated accounting and automated billing systems.
You should then consider what you are wanting to solve with the implementation of GPS Tracking.
This may be:
- Improve efficiency within the field
- Quantify any bad practice such as late starts, early finishes, or excessive after hours use
- Quantify Fuel Usage and Possible Fuel Theft
- Analysis of Driving Behaviour to improve WHS, Maintenance & Fuel Costs
- Streamline compliance related reporting such as electronic logbooks
- Improve WHS/HSE by utilising Duress/SOS, Rollover detection type features
It is important that the Vehicle Tracker and Server Software work hand in hand to get the best results.
Once you have the answers to the above questions, it is important to choose the right Vehicle GPS Tracking Device which is able to process the required vehicle information prior to sending it to the central server.
For example:- If one of your primary goals is to determine that drivers are wearing their seat belts, then you need to choose a tracker that can detect the wearing of seat belts and send that data to the server.
You should then consider your future needs and select a product which is Scalable.
Today you may only require a very basic solution, but as your business grows and more vehicles come on board, you may require Driver Identification Swipe Cards so you know who is driving a vehicle at any time.