Route optimisation is about calculating the best possible route for drivers to conduct their activities during each day. This may be to co-ordinate their deliveries or jobs using the shortest and fastest travelling route over the entire day.
Route planning and optimiation helps organisations find the most cost-effective routes and schedule tasks accordingly to help increase efficiency, productivity and profitability.
If your company ships or conducts field service to hundreds of customers each day, using a fleet of 20 or more vehicles, producing an optimal daily plan is pretty much impossible without the help of route planning and optimisation software.
A great route planing and optimisation solution considers multiple factors, such as an employees' work schedule, the order of jobs, the types of vehicles and whether they are suitable for delivery/entry to client premises or suitable for the task, traffic flows, employee certifications and inductions in to client sites and other limitations such as road sizes and bridge clearances.
An advanced route planning and optimisation system can help optimise routes and tasks as well as load balance works across the whole fleet to make organisations more efficient, whilst also keeping drivers on schedule, and reducing unnecessary costs and administration.
A Good Route Planning & Optimisation System Should :
- Provide the ability to route optimise multiple destinations for the entire day
- Provide route optimisation based on round trips, A to Z or Z to A where Z is the furthest point
- Allow swapping and changing or order by planners and automatically re-organise
- Allow for day of week and time of day historical traffic data flows
- Visually display routes and delivery points/tasks on a map with distances, travel times and job times for overview prior to dispatching
- Calculate estimated travel times and distance
A Great Route Planning & Optimisation System Should Also :
- Allow planners to set time windows on certain destinations to ensure they are met and other destinations are re-optimised
- Allow for vehicle properties such as size and ability for client sites and roads to accept those vehicles
- Allow do delivery/job task time frames in caclulating delivery/task time windows will be met for subsequent deliveries or tasks
- Allow for driver/field technician accessibility/inductions into delivery/work sites
- Allow for driver/field technician skill sets for suitability to delivery or site work/tasks
- Allow for driver/employee rest breaks and fatigue management
- Send delivery/work orders and navigational routes to an "in vehicle" navigational display
- Monitor daily route and work order/delivery progress and alert dispatchers if works/deliveries are unlikely to be met
- Allow for live re-allocation and re-optimisation of daily activies